TipsForSuccess: Indecision and Inaction

 


Indecision and Inaction

Right now, you can make a decision or take an action that will make you prosperous and proud. However, if you find it hard to make decisions or take action, you miss the opportunity.

Indecision costs companies millions when they fail to decide or fail to act. An opportunity comes and goes while management sits on its hands. For example, IBM could have controlled the personal computer market if it had acted on Bill Gates' offer to handle their computer operating software for them. Barnes and Noble was the world's biggest bookseller until Amazon.com took over. By the time Barnes and Noble started selling books on the Internet, Amazon.com had taken the number one spot.

When you as an individual fail to make a decision or fail to act, you can also ruin your success or happiness. For example, you could have started a business when you were in your twenties. You could have formed a partnership with a very successful person. You could have made better decisions regarding your ex-spouse.

You have probably seen big opportunities, knew they were big opportunities, and failed to act on them.

In fact, you probably have one or more opportunities in front of you now. So what makes you hesitate?

The Answer Is Simple

"Inaction and indecision in the present is because of fear of consequences of the future." -- L. Ron Hubbard

Because you are afraid of certain consequences, you do not act or do not decide. You can see this principle at work with the following exercise.

Five Tips for Conquering the Fear of Consequences

1. Write down an opportunity that is available to you right now.

2. Write down the decision that is difficult to make or the action that is difficult to take.

3. Write down the consequences you might be afraid of.

4. Of these consequences, identify your biggest fear or fears.

5. Take action to resolve this fear or fears.

You should now be able to make the decision or take the action necessary for your success.

Example

Richard has always wanted to be a business owner. His brother Alan calls one day and says, "How would you like to be partners with me on a Crazy Chicken franchise? It's the best fast-food chicken in the world! It'll be worth millions some day. Just give me that $20,000 you have in savings, quit your job and we'll start!"

Richard likes the idea, but feels frozen. "I'll think about it." He then spends 80 stressful hours during the next two weeks trying to decide.

Everyone has an opinion for him and he listens to them all. His wife says, "Do what you think is right." His mother says, "Don't be stupid." His father says, "Go for it!" He still can't decide.

Finally, a friend at work gives him this article and Richard does the five steps as follows:

1. "I have the opportunity to be a partner with my brother Alan in a Crazy Chicken restaurant."

2. "I can't decide if buying the Crazy Chicken franchise will be successful or not."

3. "The future consequences I might be afraid of are that I'll lose my savings. I'll look like a fool. I'll regret quitting my job. I'll be cleaning a kitchen for the rest of my life."

4. "What's the biggest fear? Well, I can always save more money, so I'm not too afraid of losing my savings. I don't care if I look foolish. I doubt I'll really regret quitting my job. But I can't stand cleaning kitchens! I'm terrified I'll live my life cleaning kitchens. I'd rather beg on the street than clean a kitchen."

5. Richard calls his brother. "Alan, if I do this deal, will you be in charge of kitchen cleaning forever?"

Alan says, "Sure!"

Richard says, "I want it in writing. I'll serve the food, take the money, sweep the parking lot or anything else. But if I have to clean the kitchen, even one time, you have to agree to buy me out immediately, okay?"

Alan says, "No problem. You will never, ever clean a kitchen at Crazy Chicken."

Richard laughs, makes the deal and quits his job.
 


Provided by TipsForSuccess.org as a public service to introduce the technology of L. Ron Hubbard to you.

Copyright © 2005 TipsForSuccess.org. All rights reserved. Grateful acknowledgment is made to L. Ron Hubbard Library for permission to reproduce selections from the copyrighted works of L. Ron Hubbard.

Take better control of your life with the TipsForSuccess coaching website at www.TipsForSuccessCoaching.org.

For permission to copy, print or post this article, go to www.tipsforsuccess.org/reprint_info.htm or click here.

To subscribe, buy books, contact us or learn more about TipsForSuccess.org, click here.

Blog Archive