TipsForSuccess: How to Get into the Driver's Seat of Life (Part 1)

 


How to Get into the Driver's Seat of Life (Part 1 of 3)

You do not succeed by blaming other people, the economy, the government, your boss, your staff, your family or your enemies.

No matter how hard you blame others, no matter how convincing the argument and no matter how many people agree with you, blame does not boost your productivity, increase your income or help you reach your goals.

You may think it's good for you to blame your problems on others:

"My boss is to blame. If he wasn't so mean, I'd get a promotion."

"Thanks to my stupid wife, we have no money."

"My parents were alcoholics which is why I have a learning disability."

Excuses are just as bad:

"I can't work because my computer has a virus."

"My mother-in-law was visiting that week so I couldn't pay my bills."

"If the weather wasn't so hot, I'd finish the report."

Blame and excuses are simply a problem with . . . .

Responsibility

L. Ron Hubbard has a direct, specific statement about this:

"All real difficulty stems from no responsibility."

This one important fact can represent a turning point for you. "All real difficulties" include your problems with money, businesses, relationships, bosses, employees, family, work and your health.

However, this does not mean you must blame yourself for your difficulties.

Like many people, you might think "responsibility" means "blame." It's not.

"Responsibility" is an entirely different concept.

Definition

"Full responsibility is not fault; it is recognition of being cause." -- L. Ron Hubbard

Being cause means you put yourself in the driver's seat of the problem.

You ask yourself, "How am I causing this problem?"

For example, a boss says to himself, "Employees don't know how to do their work. Okay, so how have I been the cause of this? Oh well maybe it's because I haven't trained them."

Now the boss has a solution. Instead of blaming employees for the problem, he takes responsibility for the problem and fixes it!

Another example: "My husband is an idiot. He's not making enough money, so I have to go to work. Okay, so how have I caused this? Well, maybe if I didn't insist we buy an expensive house we would have enough. I guess I should be willing to go back to work, or agree to a smaller house."

Like magic you calm down and a solution appears.

If you see how you are causing the problem you can then see how you can solve it.

How to Succeed by Taking More Responsibility

First, take responsibility for your problems. What is a difficulty you face? Select one of your problems.

Now decided to be responsible for it.

How have you caused this difficulty in your life?

What did you do that may have started it?

What could you have done differently?

Don't blame anyone. Don't think of excuses. Don't blame yourself. Do not feel shameful. Do not regret it. Simply acknowledge that you caused this problem.

"Full responsibility is not fault; it is recognition of being cause." -- L. Ron Hubbard

If you can figure out how you caused the problem, you win! You are now in charge of it! You can end the difficulty.

Give it a try!

(Next week: More examples and actions you can use to master this powerful concept.)


Provided by TipsForSuccess.org as a public service to introduce the technology of L. Ron Hubbard to you.

Copyright © 2010 TipsForSuccess.org. All rights reserved. Grateful acknowledgment is made to L. Ron Hubbard Library for permission to reproduce selections from the copyrighted works of L. Ron Hubbard.

To subscribe, buy books, contact us or learn more about TipsForSuccess.org, click here.

 

Blog Archive